Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
polar315

Entering a medical expense the dropdown does not show my dependents. Shows myself and my spouse. Checked and 2 dependents defined in my dependent profile.

5 Replies

Entering a medical expense the dropdown does not show my dependents. Shows myself and my spouse. Checked and 2 dependents defined in my dependent profile.

Please see the following FAQ for instructions on how to claim medical expenses for your dependant who is over the age of 18.

https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/replies/2647799

Plzhelp1

Re: Entering a medical expense the dropdown does not show my dependents. Shows myself and my spouse. Checked and 2 dependents defined in my dependent profile.  

I have the same issue.  My over 18 dependant is entered in my dependant profile and I have entered income info from their tax return, but on the medical expense dropdown to select Patient name, the dependant name does not appear.  Your reply indicates that Yes, it is possible, but it doesn't explain how to fix the issue, or how to proceed.  I've followed the recommended steps but it's not working.  Any suggestions?  Appreciate all advice!!

To claim your over 18-year-olds medical expenses- you will need to make sure you have entered them as a dependent, go to the left side of your screen and click on My Info- then click on "Edit" Other credits and Deductions" then click yes to the question 'Namedid you have medical expenses for yourself, your spouse or your dependents?" Then follow the screenshots below. 

Continue- and once on the page to claim your medical receipts- you will see their name. 

TurboTaxBrenda1's solution was great for 2019 but doesn't seem to work now because the menus on the left sidebar have changed for doing 2022 taxes.  Please could the answer to this question be updated for the current version of Turbotax?

I'm having the same issue as the original question.  I have a medical expense from 2021 that I am bringing forward to my 2022 tax return.  When the expense was incurred my son was only 17.  But he is over 18 now and isn't appearing in the "Patient" drop down menu for entering the expense.  Please advise how to get around this.  Thanks.