turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

What does this mean?

21 days is just an estimated processing time but not a guarantee.  The IRS is taking much longer this year.

If your return was Accepted or mailed then check IRS Where's my refund
https://www.irs.gov/refunds/

When will you get your refund?
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/refund-status/help/when-will-i-get-my-irs-tax-refund/01/25589

IRS - Questions about Refunds
https://www.irs.gov/refunds/tax-season-refund-frequently-asked-questions

What does this mean?

@Lanroxan - here is what the IRS website states about amendment processing times: 

Status of Processing Form 1040-X, Amended Individual Tax Return: As of June 18, 2022, we had 2.2 million unprocessed Forms 1040-X. We are processing these returns in the order received and are working hard to get through the inventory. The current timeframe can be more than 20 weeks instead of up to 16. Please don't file a second tax return or contact the IRS about the status of your amended return. Taxpayers should continue to check Where's My Amended Return? for the most up to date processing status available.

Dulce1989
Returning Member

What does this mean?

Waste of time. I  have the exact same thing as you with the exception that mine has the date of Mar 01, 2022. I called the number, dial the extension, and my call went through just to be told it is a general notification after it has been 16 weeks since they received your amended return. There is no additional information pending on my end to be sent as the only thing wrong was the child credit was entered incorrectly. However, the reps who answer the phones can't assist with processing your refund. They will ask you to wait for 5-7min constantly while they review the information. She told me I have to wait for up to another 120 days from May 28, 2022, so that someone can review my amended form and have my funds released. She did state that she would mark a note on my file so that the worker can process it ASAP as all corrections have already been made. Now all I have to do is wait for an IRS worker to get to it as they are behind as we all know. Hopes this helps as I have been doing all kinds of research and nothing is helping.

Dulce1989
Returning Member

What does this mean?

Waste of time. I  have the exact same thing as you with the exception that mine has the date of Mar 01, 2022. I called the number, dial the extension, and my call went through just to be told it is a general notification after it has been 16 weeks since they received your amended return. There is no additional information pending on my end to be sent as the only thing wrong was the child credit was entered incorrectly. However, the reps who answer the phones can't assist with processing your refund. They will ask you to wait for 5-7min constantly while they review the information. She told me I have to wait for up to another 120 days from May 28, 2022, so that someone can review my amended form and have my funds released. She did state that she would mark a note on my file so that the worker can process it ASAP as all corrections have already been made. Now all I have to do is wait for an IRS worker to get to it as they are behind as we all know. Hopes this helps as I have been doing all kinds of research and nothing is helping.

What does this mean?

@Dulce1989  when you state the Child Tax Credit was entered incorrectly, what do you mean? 

if it's a situation where Line 28 is too high, the IRS will catch that when they process your return.  There was no need to amend

if it's a situation where Line 28 is too low, then yes, an amendment was required.  Do you mind explaining the situation?  It's simply unlikely for this to occur using Turbo Tax (unless you entered you received more money for the Advance than you really did).

Dulce1989
Returning Member

What does this mean?

@NCperson Yes, that is correct! I had entered a lower amount and was unaware that the IRS would automatically do the changes and no amendment was needed. I filed my taxes in Jan and was advised by a TurboTax rep to complete 1040 as it had been over 21 days and I still didn't receive my taxes. It wasn't till Friday when I called that the person whom I spoke with advised me that there was no need for me to file 1040 she even indicated that she would never recommend using TurboTax as a lot of errors can be avoided but TurboTax is advising their customers to file 1040 which is only making the process longer.  

Dulce1989
Returning Member

What does this mean?

@NCperson I believe I entered $4,200 when I should have only entered  $3,000.

What does this mean?

@Dulce1989 - so at this point, why are you calling the IRS????? are they holding up the processing of your original 1040 until they can see why you amended? 

there is really nothing to do but have patience and wait it out.  Calling just becomes frustrating because everything I've read is that the agents on the phone know nothing more than the WMR and WMA tools have on the website. ....

Dulce1989
Returning Member

What does this mean?

@NCperson when I logged in to WMAR it indicated for me to call.

Your amended return was received on March 01, 2022. However, it has not been processed. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Please call [phone number removed], extension 623, between the hours of 7 a.m. and 7 p.m., Monday through Friday. You will need a copy of your amended return.

What does this mean?

@Dulce1989 - our messages crossed 

<< I believe I entered $4,200 when I should have only entered  $3,000.>>

then an amendment was the right thing to do.  

for the Child Tax credit, the IRS works on a "heads I win, tails you lose moethodology"

if you understate how much you received from the Advance, which results in a higher refund, the IRS is catching these errors and automatically correcting.

if you overstate how much you receive (and this appears to be your situation), which results in a lower refund the IRS is doing NOTHING! They look at it as a gift to the American people, unless you amend and claim the money you are entitled to.  

$3000 would be two children ages 6-17.... $4200 would have been the Recovery Rebate Credit, so I see how the error could have occured.

What does this mean?

@Dulce1989 while the WMR and WMA may say to call; the IRS website site says "don't call"...it's really a waste of time as they really don't know much, 80% of the calls are not answered currently and if you can get through the hold times are quite long (and then you normally are only told what the website says in any event).

My recent experience with an amendment was a 12 month (no kidding) wait from May, 2021 to May, 2022.  Things are probably not as bad currently, but I'd still set my expectation at a 9-12 month wait.  

The IRS states they are committed to get back to normal processing times by the end of the year so they can enter the next tax year with normal backlogs.  We'll see. 

What does this mean?

Hey I'm just curious what why was the reason that they said that you had to call? Because I'm getting the same thing and I filed my amended return and it was accepted April 15th and I mean it's August 19th We've been regularly checking our amended return status and saw the message to call with no reason why?? 

What does this mean?

@Outlawzlady - there was no reason; and I've read the agents don't know any more than is on the website.  figure 9-12 months to wait from the time you submitted the amendment until it is processed. 

What does this mean?

I am going on over a yeas now, still nothing.

What does this mean?

I blew off calling after a couple attempts and reading here it was useless.

Im at 24 weeks with nothing.  I wonder if it depends on the specific office its sent to?  My address was Ogden UT.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies