Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

The IRS says take action tax topic 151 your appeal rights

If you do not seem to get any resolution or assistance you can try the Taxpayer Advocate Service (TAS). TAS is an independent organization within the IRS. Their job is to ensure that every taxpayer is treated fairly and that you know and understand your rights.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
DavonnaT

I have received this code over the weekend. I called at exactly 7 a.m. to speak to irs. She said my deposit will be on April 7th. They adjusted my tax and took a $1000 off. I didn't have to wait for a letter. Still may get one. I just got my answer through calling. 

Tez321

What number did they give you and what extension

JeanneLO
Intuit Alumni

Individuals can call the IRS at (800) 829-1040, Monday through Friday, 7:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m. your local time. Try calling early in the morning as suggested above and not on a Monday or Tuesday.

Here are some tips when contacting the IRS:

• First choose your language
  • Then do not choose the first choice regarding REFUND, or it will send you to an automated phone line.
  • Instead, press 2 for personal income tax questions.
  • Then press 1 for form, tax history, or payment.  
  • Then press 3 for all other questions.
  • Then press 2 for all other questions to be transferred to an agent

Please see this TurboTax FAQ on what to have ready before you contact the IRS: What do I need if I call the IRS?

I have had this code for a while. I filed February 13 accepted same day. Three dependents. I claimed recovery rebate because never received the second EIP. Did get third with dependents. Received a letter from irs a notice saying they received my response after sending a letter stating they needed more information. I faxed the kids and me and my wifes information. The notice says they need more time to review and to wait until June 26 to hear back to them. Has anyone have an update with this code?

KatrinaLO
Intuit Alumni

Tax Topic 151 means your return is under review.  This can be done for various credit claims such as Earned Income Credit or any of the education tax breaks (this is not all inclusive).  Your best bet it to wait until the IRS contacts you via letter which can take up to 4 weeks or more to receive. They may simply need more information and nothing will be affected.  In addition, they could potentially make changes which you can accept or contest the changes per the IRS letter.

Please see the IRS website for more information. Topic No. 151 Your Appeal Rights

Did u read what I wrote? I have received two letters so far. The first one was to fax all the children bc and ssn. The second was a notice saying they need more time to review. And that I should receive another letter by June 26 2021. Is anybody else having this issue with waiting months on this tax topic?

DanielV01
Expert Alumni

@Playawiz This is an issue with the IRS.  Because of COVID, they have had sizeable delays in processing situations like this.  Many taxpayers are experiencing the same issues.

Zion501

What was the fax number ?

Did u have to have specific ATTN: 

ChondelLO
Intuit Alumni

Please visit the IRS article below for a list of IRS phone numbers. Scroll all the way to the bottom and click the plus sign next to IRS Phone Numbers.

https://www.irs.gov/help/telephone-assistance

I've been using TurboTax for more than 10 years, and I think this will be the last year. Real and up-to-date information needs to be provided on this IRS problem. I have to pay to do my taxes, over $100 every time, just because I'm self-employed. TurboTax and the IRS have a linked business relationship. They should most definitely step up and release information for their customers this complicated and late tax season. If the plan was to delay people with dependents, THEN IT SHOULD BE STATED. It's not hard to figure out that the IRS used everybody's 2019 to issue the 3rd round stimulus, while people in 2020 have had new dependents and their taxes are being delayed (I believe on purpose, so they don't have to process the earned income credit and pay out the stimulus to children born in 2020, just yet). THEY SHOULD JUST BE UP FRONT WITH PEOPLE AND SAY THE FEDERAL GOVT HAS NOT PRINTED ENOUGH MONEY YET. Furthermore, it is not the IRS' job to make you bear the burden of proof of any new dependents or current dependents with a legitimate SSN, which is on file with the state and federal governments. That's just NOT how it works. And if it does, TurboTax should offer assistance with this. BUT, IT'S NOT HOW IT WORKS. You file, the IRS pays you (or you pay them) then they find a red flag, then you get audited. Then you contact a tax attorney and provide them with paperwork. I have NEVER seen this happen before, and I have always been prone to an audit risk (especially Tax Topic 151 Take Action). I'm having a feeling that I'm just about to amend my return now, with another tax service. The IRS doesn't just get to make their own adjustments, while people sit at their mercy and their partner's mercy. Don't feel bad, people. I have children born in 2020, which will probably never see a first stimulus (which is technically the 3rd stimulus). This is the beginning of a big tax code restructure.  

Bernab

Same, I filed 2/26/21 and got that message on 4/17/21.  Don't know what the problem is, don't know how long this will take. There is no information. 

I am under review due to dependent claim but I have sent all required doc's about 3 weeks ago, I have certified mail confirmation signature but still nothing . I have reached out to my senator for assistance . Unfortunately I have to pay again to send more documents but I will do what I have to get this resolved . I have been patient but I filed end of January accepted feb 10 and I only got a small partial refund , contacted a representative explained in detail , rep. Told me what to send and stated that should resolve the issue , sent all documents 3 weeks ago , but still nothing . :( 

Yes I filed end of jan accepted feb 10 I believe , I received partial refund and a  letter requesting more information , I called irs because I was unsure as to what to send , explained to irs rep.  in great detail re: our filing , irs rep. Irs rep told me what to send and said once received and processed (but no time line given ) that should resolve the issue . I spent $50 to send fed ex certified mail requiring signature ,  it was received  and signed for about 3 weeks ago but still nothing . I reached out to my states senator who has responded and has offered to help me . I just have to resend everything again :( I don't really have another $50 to send more documents but I have to do what I have to do . I am contacting a tax advocate tomorrow . I have never had this problem and I don't understand what the issue is but  we are not alone there are thousands of tax filers going through what we are and I think it is going ti take an act of god for any of us to get our refunds :( we have to pray on it ! 

How long after you see tax topic 151 will you receive your refund 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies