Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When I go to file mine and my husbands taxes it asks if my husband made no income? he is on ODSP so his income is claimed on my return, do I say yes to the question?

1 Reply

When I go to file mine and my husbands taxes it asks if my husband made no income? he is on ODSP so his income is claimed on my return, do I say yes to the question?

ODSP (Ontario Disability Support Program) is not a taxable benefit. So, if your husband has no income other than ODSP benefit:

In TurboTax Online, in My Info > Additional information about spouse:

• answer Yes to the question: “Was [spouse name]’s net income for [tax year] zero?”
  • Answer Yes to the question: “Does [spouse name] qualify for the disability amount and have an approved T2201 (Disability Tax Credit Certificate) on file with the CRA on your account?”

You would report ODSP benefits in Box 11 of the T5007 statement of benefits slip.

If the person, who receives Ontario Disability Support Program, relies on you to regularly and consistently provide them with some or all of the basic necessities of life, such as food, shelter, and clothing, and meets the eligibility criteria, you can also claim Canada Caregiver Credit (CCC).

For more information, please visit our TurboTax FAQ: Reporting Social Assistance Payments: How They Affect Your Income.

If you require further assistance please contact our phone support team or contact us directly on Facebook or Twitter.