Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

vdor7
Returning Member

When will I be able to e-file a 1040X on the TurboTax app for 2020? After electing to amend my return, TurboTax says the "amends area" is not yet ready. When will it be?

Just as the title says, I need to amend my 1040X return after having e-filed digitally using the app TurboTax 2020. But clicking on amending my return just says that the IRS is "still preparing" the "amends area". When will this be ready to use? I need to amend and re-file asap.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

When will I be able to e-file a 1040X on the TurboTax app for 2020? After electing to amend my return, TurboTax says the "amends area" is not yet ready. When will it be?

You cannot amend a tax return that was just accepted.   You have to wait for it to be processed by the IRS.  Trying to send in an amended return while they are still processing the original return could confuse things and delay your refund for months.

Do not try to change anything on your return now.  When you amend, your Form 1040X has to be prepared from the return exactly the way it looked when you filed it originally.   You have to wait.   Once your return has been processed you will complete a Form 1040X   --- which is not yet available --- and submit it to amend the mistakes made when you filed your original return. It takes the IRS at least four months to process an amended return.

The 2020 Form 1040X does not become available until the end of March 2021 (subject to change).

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

102 Replies

You cannot amend a tax return that was just accepted.   You have to wait for it to be processed by the IRS.  Trying to send in an amended return while they are still processing the original return could confuse things and delay your refund for months.

Do not try to change anything on your return now.  When you amend, your Form 1040X has to be prepared from the return exactly the way it looked when you filed it originally.   You have to wait.   Once your return has been processed you will complete a Form 1040X   --- which is not yet available --- and submit it to amend the mistakes made when you filed your original return. It takes the IRS at least four months to process an amended return.

The 2020 Form 1040X does not become available until the end of March 2021 (subject to change).

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
vdor7
Returning Member

**bleep**, okay. Thank you.

Raleigh-

Intuit should put a warning with the alert that 1040X isn't ready, stating   DO NOT UPDATE YOUR TAX FILE TILL YOU CAN AMEND THE RETURN when 1040X is ready.

In my case I spent hours updating my filing since after I got the alert that 1040X isn't ready, on the bottom right the box said CONTINUE.  So I did and it put me into the return so I thought I could update it.

The IRS site says to use the Jan 2020 form and just add the year 2020 in the space under where you select the year you are amending.  When will the Turbotax software be updated?

yes, I feel the same way... it was pretty deceiving to tell you to go ahead and make changes when the program was not ready for  them yet.  

I need to refile the 2020 Maryland State tax return only. I filed early February before Maryland passed a law that exempts unemployment compensation from taxation for 2020 unemployment compensation received.

I received unemployment compensation in 2020.

You cannot "refile" a return that has been accepted ... when it is fully processed and the original refund is in hand then you can amend the return.  Don't do anything until then.  

NashayLO
Intuit Alumni

@vdor7 The 1040X will be ready on 3/25/2021. Please see this TurboTax FAQ, IRS forms availability table for TurboTax individu...

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

why is it so much later than what's on the IRS website?

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040x.pdf

JeanneLO
Intuit Alumni

@LoreeScag

If the IRS has not fully processed your tax return you won't want to amend it. It does take time from when the IRS releases a final form to when TurboTax incorporates it in the software and makes it available to use. The IRS started accepting tax returns on February 12, 2021 and can take several days to weeks to fully process tax returns.

Also per the IRS amended returns can take up to 16 weeks to fully process (there are reports it is currently taking much longer). Please see this for more information from the IRS: Amended Returns & Form 1040X.

Not knowing that I couldn't e-file an amendment - I selected the Amend button for the already sent return.  It allowed me to correct my mistake.  Only at the end did I realize that I couldn't submit it.  My problem is that  now that file has the updates and I no longer have the file of the 1st submission.  There is no other file that has an "amended" extension or anything.  

What should I do with this file once my return is approved/completed by the IRS and I'm allowed to submit an amendment?  I also looked in Forms just to be sure there wasn't a 1040X in there (no).  I'm not sure how to proceed - should I undo my correction - resave it and then later try to amend it again?

Please advise.

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

You are not able to amend your return at this time because Form 1040X is not available yet. It is currently scheduled for release on March 25. You can monitor the availability of the form via the below link:

IRS forms availability table for TurboTax individual (personal) tax products

If you wish to cancel your amended return, please see How do I cancel or undo an amended return in TurboTax Online? 

mjdooz

As of 2/25/2021, the 2020 1040X is on the IRS website, so it has been completed.  We have our tax refund, so our tax return has been processed.  How long is it going to take for Turbo Tax to get the 1040X update on the program so that we can file the amended return?

https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/new-information-for-form-1040-x-filers

The 1040X will not be available in the software until March 26.  You are correct that the the paper form is on the IRS site.   You can print out that 1040X form if you want to use it—-and prepare your amended return by hand to mail in instead of waiting to use the software and e-file it.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies