Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
paperclip

I’m using REFILE to amend my 2017 filing. My spouse and I file together, but only my return has an amendment. Do I need to submit my spouse’s file?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I’m using REFILE to amend my 2017 filing. My spouse and I file together, but only my return has an amendment. Do I need to submit my spouse’s file?

When you prepare your tax returns simultaneously with your spouse, usually any changes you make as an "adjustment" (or ReFile) affect both returns. For this reason, TurboTax will think both tax returns need an adjustment and want to ReFile them both.

If you are sure that only one tax return is seeing a change from your ReFile adjustment and choose not to pay the $4.99 fee for both, you may need to complete the payment process for both, then contact our Customer Support team for a refund. 

View solution in original post

6 Replies

When you prepare your tax returns simultaneously with your spouse, usually any changes you make as an "adjustment" (or ReFile) affect both returns. For this reason, TurboTax will think both tax returns need an adjustment and want to ReFile them both.

If you are sure that only one tax return is seeing a change from your ReFile adjustment and choose not to pay the $4.99 fee for both, you may need to complete the payment process for both, then contact our Customer Support team for a refund. 

UKay
Level 1

Hi TurbotaxKim,

I have the same situation, I refiled mine using the free online TurboTax and my spouse did not need any amendment, his balance remained the same, mine changed.

My refile was successful, and since TurboTax recommended both returns to be refiled, I tried to refile my spouse's return, and I got the below error message - And there is no reason for it to be excluded, I checked the list of exclusions, and I tried four times.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

We're sorry, the Canada Revenue Agency was unable to accept your NETFILE tax return.

Message from the CRA:

The Canada Revenue Agency cannot process this ReFILE submission as it appears that the submitted changes to the return cannot be requested using the ReFILE service.

Please visit the list of exclusions on the ReFILE website. ReFILE

You have 2 options:

Recommended - Try NETFILE again in a few minutes.

Please note: You only have 5 attempts to NETFILE your return before the CRA will lock you out.

If the problem persists, please contact TurboTax Customer Support for assistance.

• Print and mail your return to the CRA.

We're sorry for any inconvenience.  Please send us a PM to https://bit.ly/2uCVxN1 so we can assist you.

blazin169

Hi, I tried to refile my 2019, and the system automatically selected my return first to refile (my wife and I filed together). My return has no changes, and hers has a tuition amendment. The process to refile aborted with the following message on my return, but turbotax did not give me the option to continue and try to refile my wife's amended return - what should I do?

The Canada Revenue Agency is unable to process this ReFILE request as there appears to be no change to the return or some of the fields submitted have resulted in no change.

Thanks.

Searching

I just refiled and it accepted mine but not for my spouse.  It said CRA Result Code: 615 error CRA did not accept your refile.  It also says that you only can only try 5 times and then CRA will lock you out.  

I made changes to mine not for my Spouse, do I have to contact CRA to get it locked out?  Or would it be unlocked after a few minutes?  When you refile DO YOU HAVE TO REFILE BOTH OF THE RETURNS ALTHOUGH ONLY ONE HAS CHANGED AND NEEDS REFILE-GIVEN  THE CHANGE DID NOT AFFECT THE OTHER.  

SUGGESTIONS PLS!

No, it is not necessary to refile your spouse's return if you have not made changes to the return.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.