Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Mar 4, 2022 4:36:29 PM

Section for claiming eligible dependents says… At any time during 2021, were you not married or living common-law (i.e. you were separated from your spouse or single)?

I have not, however, it goes on to say…Note: If you had a spouse or partner, but we’re not living with, supporting, or being supported by.
I am living with my common law partner but not supporting her and not being supported by her. My daughter, financially, is solely supported by me.

0 2 421
2 Replies
Level 3
Mar 5, 2022 7:08:45 PM

As per the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA), you cannot claim an eligible dependant if you have lived with a common-law partner for the entire year. Refer to Line 30400 – Amount for an eligible dependant: Can you claim the amount for an eligible dependant? on the Canada Revenue Agency website for more information.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

Mar 6, 2022 8:15:07 AM

Thank you for the reply and for sending the CRA link.
Tie only part that confuses me is this...

• You did not have a spouse or common-law partner or, if you did, you were not living with them, supporting them, or being supported by them.

I do have a common law partner, whom I live with but, I don't support her and she doesn't support me.
    The dependent, my daughter by blood, is 100% financially supported by me.