Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fistar

Separated this year (May 2014), we have a daughter who is 20 and has Autism. Her mother has the T2200? on her file to claim. the disability tax credit.

Daughter residence is with her mom.   When I do the taxes I have listed my daughter as my dependent for that year as we were together for part of the year.   It seems TurboTax had given me the Credit as well as my  separated wife.   I am thinking that isn't correct, and it should only go to my separated wife.  Should I remove my daughter as a dependent on Turbotax?  so that I don't get that credit?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Separated this year (May 2014), we have a daughter who is 20 and has Autism. Her mother has the T2200? on her file to claim. the disability tax credit.

Only one person can claim a dependent so if your daughter is resident with your ex-wife it would seem that she should claim the credit.  However, if you have a custody arrangement for shared custody and your ex-wife does not need the credit, you may be able to claim it for 2014.  Be careful that both of you do not claim the credit - in that case, CRA may disallow the credit for both of you.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Only one person can claim a dependent so if your daughter is resident with your ex-wife it would seem that she should claim the credit.  However, if you have a custody arrangement for shared custody and your ex-wife does not need the credit, you may be able to claim it for 2014.  Be careful that both of you do not claim the credit - in that case, CRA may disallow the credit for both of you.