Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Never claimed dental expenses before - can I claim now for 2013 (where I spent most money) and 2014 or just 2013 and then expenses from 2014 will be submitted next year?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Never claimed dental expenses before - can I claim now for 2013 (where I spent most money) and 2014 or just 2013 and then expenses from 2014 will be submitted next year?

You can claim 2014 medical expenses credit for any 12 month period ending in 2014, so choose a window that encompasses as much expense as possible. Later than your end date, and you will claim them on 2015 taxes.

If you have a married or common law partner, consider claiming credit on the lower Net Income of the two, since there is a threshold below which no credit is given (3% of Net or $2161 whichever us the lower amount).

The dental expense you claim is for any amount not covered by insurance plans.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

You can claim 2014 medical expenses credit for any 12 month period ending in 2014, so choose a window that encompasses as much expense as possible. Later than your end date, and you will claim them on 2015 taxes.

If you have a married or common law partner, consider claiming credit on the lower Net Income of the two, since there is a threshold below which no credit is given (3% of Net or $2161 whichever us the lower amount).

The dental expense you claim is for any amount not covered by insurance plans.

So technically, I can claim 01-01-2013 to 01-01-2014? That's great! I'll just provide the portion of dental expenses which I paid too.

Thanks for your help!

Yes you can. So long as you don't resubmit an expense that was already claimed on your 2013 return.