Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

stored data

I went to begin my 2023 tax.  I started by wanting to access my 2022 return to upload the stored data.  I discovered that all stored data from all my Turbo Tax folders since 2011 no longer contain any of my stored returns. 

19 Replies

stored data

Are you using TurboTax CD/Download or TurboTax Online?

stored data

I'm using the downloaded version, always have.

Thanks for the speedy help

stored data

The default save location for TurboTax CD/Download is: C:\Users\yourusername\Documents\TurboTax\

If you can’t find your files there, you can use the search function of Windows to look for files with the TurboTax extension (.ttxx). Ex: For 2022 the extension would be .tt22 and for 2021 it would be .tt21.

Unfortunately, since the return files are saved on your computer, if you can’t find them, we don't have copies of the files and can't help recover them.

stored data

I have already tried all of that.  My big concern now is Identity Theft.  It's very odd that these are the only folders that should have data missing.  At least they are the only folders I have noticed so far with missing data.  Do you have any record of hackers targeting Turbo Tax customers and downloading their returns?  Imagine all the personal data on a tax return.  Any thought as to how these files came to be deleted?

stored data

I can’t comment on identity theft or computer security as it’s beyond the scope of this forum.

I also can’t say how the files got deleted, but some common reasons are:

• Accidental Deletion
  • Change of computer or of computer hard drive
  • External, network or cloud drive is disconnected and that’s were the files were stored
Arjend

stored data

Same issue just occurred with a store bought cd it wiped out all returns for multiple prior years can someone explain why this is our problem and how they plan to fix it???

stored data

@Arjend 

As I mentioned above, some common reasons your TurboTax CD/Download files are missing is:

• Accidental Deletion
  • Change of computer or of computer hard drive
  • External, network or cloud drive is disconnected and that’s were the files were stored

The default save location for TurboTax CD/Download is: C:\Users\yourusername\Documents\TurboTax\

If you can’t find your files there, you can use the search function of Windows to look for files with the TurboTax extension (.ttxx). Ex: For 2022 the extension would be .tt22 and for 2021 it would be .tt21.

Unfortunately, since the return files are saved on your computer, if you can’t find them, we don't have copies of the files and can't help recover them.

stored data

On the advice of a friend, I purchased an undelete app. I didn’t even know they existed but he explained if a file has lost its identifier, it is still on your hard drive but can’t be found. When I ran the undelete it found my data from 2022 but not the data from the previous years. Not sure why yet but at least I have the previous year. 

stored data

Thank you for updating us. It's good you have your 2022 return. You may also get your information from your MyAccount at the Canada Revenue Agency.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.