Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sa-ahmra32
Returning Member

Got married in 2017;my spouse live/work out of Canada(non resident). Do I have to show the income of spouse along with mine? If yes, then the whole 2017 income of spouse?

or have to show income from the date of marriage?. Can I put 000 000 000 for SIN as spouse is non resident. I am confused about it and would appreciate feedback on it. 

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Got married in 2017;my spouse live/work out of Canada(non resident). Do I have to show the income of spouse along with mine? If yes, then the whole 2017 income of spouse?

If your spouse is a non-resident and does not reside in Canada, report your spouse's income as zero and enter 000 000 000 for the Social Insurance Number and you will be able to proceed with the income tax return.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

If your spouse is a non-resident and does not reside in Canada, report your spouse's income as zero and enter 000 000 000 for the Social Insurance Number and you will be able to proceed with the income tax return.

sa-ahmra32
Returning Member

Thanks for the quick reply. But when I am entering my spouse income as zero my return amount increases. Am I doing it in a right way? I mean is it legal to get that amount ?