Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am entering a child as an eligible dependant (previously equivalent to spouse) and nothing happens to the return amount...?? The divorced marital status is selected.

4 Replies

I am entering a child as an eligible dependant (previously equivalent to spouse) and nothing happens to the return amount...?? The divorced marital status is selected.

There could be a couple of reasons for this;

• If your tax payable has already been reduced to Zero, and you are already being refunded all the tax you have had withheld, you may not be seeing a change in your refund.
  • The claim for your dependant is not being calculated. If you click on the Dependant icon while in the Forms view, you should be able to see if the credit is being claimed as shown in the screenshot.
  • You have entered income for your dependant that exceeds $11,809 and your claim is reduced to Zero.

Thank you Kim, so, I believe the issue is the first one you provided. I am helping my ex with his taxes because he didn't see a change after selecting our son as his dependant as he is instructed to do from our separation papers every other year. He makes $82K a year, in a salaried position and is already getting a refund of 5K. As a comparison, I went into my taxes, and when I claim our son as my dependant, I get a $4K reduction in taxes. My income is $57K in a small business and I owe $14K if I do not claim our son. Does this seem right? I feel like the best option is if I make the claim and give my ex the money. It is weird because in years past this was not an issue.

Actually I have called them again and the CRA says there is no reason that it should be coming through and that it a reporting issue - we have the selection correct in the software but it does not show up as a value on line 305... our next step will be to try a different software to see if that works???

The different software worked! There is something wrong with this version of Turbotax and this issue.