Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We had a child who passed shortly after birth, can I claim her as a dependant? We do have a death certificate.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
fuzzy

We had a child who passed shortly after birth, can I claim her as a dependant? We do have a death certificate.

Sorry for your loss.  Yes, you can claim her as a dependant.  Canada Revenue says:

Line 367 - Amount for children born in 1997 or later

You can claim $2,255 for each of your or your spouse's or common-law partner's children who are under 18 years of age at the end of the year.

You may be eligible to claim the family caregiver amount for each child with an impairment in physical or mental functions.

The full amount can be claimed in the year of the child's birth, death, or adoption

View solution in original post

1 Reply
fuzzy

Sorry for your loss.  Yes, you can claim her as a dependant.  Canada Revenue says:

Line 367 - Amount for children born in 1997 or later

You can claim $2,255 for each of your or your spouse's or common-law partner's children who are under 18 years of age at the end of the year.

You may be eligible to claim the family caregiver amount for each child with an impairment in physical or mental functions.

The full amount can be claimed in the year of the child's birth, death, or adoption