Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Roxy1

We had our 1st child last year. My wife worked part of the year and received EI the rest. What amounts should be claimed and by who?

Who claims the child as a dependent?

If you claim your wife as a dependent, can you claim the child?

Can you claim caregiver amount for the child?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

We had our 1st child last year. My wife worked part of the year and received EI the rest. What amounts should be claimed and by who?

You cannot claim a spouse as a dependant.  If her income is low enough, you may be eligible for the spousal credit. There is no longer a dependant child credit.  That was removed and the allowances increased.  The UCCB and the CCTB are claimed by the person responsible for day to day care.  That would be your spouse.  She would claim the child in order to receive the benefits.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

You cannot claim a spouse as a dependant.  If her income is low enough, you may be eligible for the spousal credit. There is no longer a dependant child credit.  That was removed and the allowances increased.  The UCCB and the CCTB are claimed by the person responsible for day to day care.  That would be your spouse.  She would claim the child in order to receive the benefits.