Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What expenses can I claim for Cultural/Art deductions for my children (ages 9 and 13)? Does piano lessons or Chinese lessons count? I live in BC

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

What expenses can I claim for Cultural/Art deductions for my children (ages 9 and 13)? Does piano lessons or Chinese lessons count? I live in BC

BC is one of the few provinces that continues to offer a provincial arts credit, and yes, both piano and language courses count.

You can claim up to $500 in expenses for children under 16 years of age.

To qualify for this amount, a program must: 

• be ongoing (a minimum of eight consecutive weeks duration or, in the case of children's camps, five consecutive days); 
  • be supervised; and 
  • be suitable for children. 

The program also has to meet at least one of the following criteria: 

• it contributes to the development of creative skills or expertise in an artistic or cultural activity; 
  • it provides a substantial focus on wilderness and the natural environment; 
  • it helps children develop and use particular intellectual skills; 
  • it includes structured interaction among children where supervisors teach or help children develop interpersonal skills; or 
  • it provides enrichment or tutoring in academic subjects. 

Note: An activity that develops creative skills or expertise is only eligible if it is intended to improve a child’s dexterity or co-ordination, or helps in acquiring and applying knowledge through artistic or cultural activities such as literary arts, visual arts, performing arts, music, media, languages, customs, and heritage.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

BC is one of the few provinces that continues to offer a provincial arts credit, and yes, both piano and language courses count.

You can claim up to $500 in expenses for children under 16 years of age.

To qualify for this amount, a program must: 

• be ongoing (a minimum of eight consecutive weeks duration or, in the case of children's camps, five consecutive days); 
  • be supervised; and 
  • be suitable for children. 

The program also has to meet at least one of the following criteria: 

• it contributes to the development of creative skills or expertise in an artistic or cultural activity; 
  • it provides a substantial focus on wilderness and the natural environment; 
  • it helps children develop and use particular intellectual skills; 
  • it includes structured interaction among children where supervisors teach or help children develop interpersonal skills; or 
  • it provides enrichment or tutoring in academic subjects. 

Note: An activity that develops creative skills or expertise is only eligible if it is intended to improve a child’s dexterity or co-ordination, or helps in acquiring and applying knowledge through artistic or cultural activities such as literary arts, visual arts, performing arts, music, media, languages, customs, and heritage.