Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Oct 29, 2019 6:12:11 PM

Where should i claim my post secondary dependent

ghter as a dependent as i support her financailly. i checked the dependent box.i have only t5007 and t4ap slips. but it says i do not qualify for free turbo. maybe i should put my child in different area of return as she is a colege student or do i claim her as a spouse/

ontario canada

0 1 1838
1 Best answer
Level 6
Oct 29, 2019 6:12:12 PM

A post-secondary student generally cannot be claimed as a child dependant as they were over 18 years old on 31 December. Nor can they be claimed as spouse or spousal equivalent ( 'eligible dependant').
The exception would be if the student had a mental or physical infirmity, or is registered with a disability by CRA.

Whether you financial support the student or not is irrelevant when it comes to dependant credit.

You should identify that you have a student depedant in your introductory questions and in the Profile section of EasyStep interview. This enables Tuition credit to be transferred to you if relevant.

Your student needs to complete a 2014 tax return in order to claim Tuition credit and determine how much of that credit could be transferred to you or carried forward to next year.

1 Replies
Level 6
Oct 29, 2019 6:12:12 PM

A post-secondary student generally cannot be claimed as a child dependant as they were over 18 years old on 31 December. Nor can they be claimed as spouse or spousal equivalent ( 'eligible dependant').
The exception would be if the student had a mental or physical infirmity, or is registered with a disability by CRA.

Whether you financial support the student or not is irrelevant when it comes to dependant credit.

You should identify that you have a student depedant in your introductory questions and in the Profile section of EasyStep interview. This enables Tuition credit to be transferred to you if relevant.

Your student needs to complete a 2014 tax return in order to claim Tuition credit and determine how much of that credit could be transferred to you or carried forward to next year.