Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why did it say additional deductions had been found, but my amount owing did not go down?

I am reviewing my tax return and I received a note that say "Good News! Here are the additional deductions and credits we have claimed for you:"

However, my amount owing did not go down. How do I claim these additional deductions or credits?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Why did it say additional deductions had been found, but my amount owing did not go down?

These credits have already been taken into account in calculating your tax balance. You don't have to do anything else.
Turbotax can only determine your credits based on the information you provide. For example, if you provide a DOB that indicates you are 65 or over, Turbotax will enter the Age amount if Credit, if it is otherwise applicable. This makes it sound like Turbotax has done a great job in finding you a credit.

But, if for instance you omit to provide entry items such as Tuition and Education, Turbotax does not supply that. You have to be conscious in the profile stage of what credits might apply.
I strongly recommend every taxpayer to read the T1 Guide cover to cover before you do your taxes, whether on paper or with software.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

These credits have already been taken into account in calculating your tax balance. You don't have to do anything else.
Turbotax can only determine your credits based on the information you provide. For example, if you provide a DOB that indicates you are 65 or over, Turbotax will enter the Age amount if Credit, if it is otherwise applicable. This makes it sound like Turbotax has done a great job in finding you a credit.

But, if for instance you omit to provide entry items such as Tuition and Education, Turbotax does not supply that. You have to be conscious in the profile stage of what credits might apply.
I strongly recommend every taxpayer to read the T1 Guide cover to cover before you do your taxes, whether on paper or with software.