Solved: Will CRA accept that I change the T5008 submitted ...

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
EnglishEN

Pick a language

Français English
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bernard

Will CRA accept that I change the T5008 submitted by TD which lists GROSS amounts in USD. When I change to NET in CAD, none will match TD's submission. is this acceptable

I have my 200+ trades converted at the daily CRA exchange rate.  When I change the T5008 data submitted by TD/ToS to include both book value and disposition amounts which are NET( TD submits only GROSS disposition values in USD) and converted into CAD the day rate, CRA will not be able to reconcile against TD/ToS submission. If CRA were to inquire, I have a detailed 15 page excel spreadsheet report to back my submission up.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
TurboTaxKim

Will CRA accept that I change the T5008 submitted by TD which lists GROSS amounts in USD. When I change to NET in CAD, none will match TD's submission. is this acceptable

CRA will accept this change in reporting of your T5008 information. As long as you have that spreadsheet to back up your claims, you should see no problems.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
TurboTaxKim

CRA will accept this change in reporting of your T5008 information. As long as you have that spreadsheet to back up your claims, you should see no problems.

View solution in original post

stellair
Returning Member

Will Turbotax please include T5008 BOX 13, convert using CRA USD Rate, or provide user option of entering exchange rate so Foreign T5008 converted to CDN automatically? I have over 500 transactions to type into a spreadsheet, convert to USD, and then re-type into Turbotax. Why not include a field to convert automatically?

Andy11111
Level 2

I agree this part of TurboTax needs to have better features. 

I autofilled from CRA and all the values are numerically correct, but a mix of CDN and USD values.  And no indication which one is which!  I have to compare them to the trading record the bank sent with my T5, T5008. 

A way to download the T5008 entries from Turbotax into a csv file is needed; a way to upload entries from a csv file and add to what's already in the t5008 list is needed, and a command to wipe out the entire T5008 list (in preparation for uploading the new csv file with all the entries and currencies converted).

There isn't any way to get just the T5008 form either so we can't somehow extract what is already entered.  Can't save as a pdf yet either, which could have been converted to text to extract the T5008 data. 

This is one of the most awkward things in TT.

Andy

v