Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
thewebseb

My brother lives in my home but is not my dependant. Can he file his return using my copy of turbotax?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My brother lives in my home but is not my dependant. Can he file his return using my copy of turbotax?

Yes, if you are using TurboTax CD/Download, he can use any returns you have left over.

If you are using TurboTax Online and have the Standard 8 return package, then he can use it to prepare his return, but he must do it in the same account as you used to create yours.

If you are using TurboTax Online but don’t have the Standard 8 return package, then he can create a new return in TurboTax Online, but he will be charged separately. He can also create his own account.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Yes, if you are using TurboTax CD/Download, he can use any returns you have left over.

If you are using TurboTax Online and have the Standard 8 return package, then he can use it to prepare his return, but he must do it in the same account as you used to create yours.

If you are using TurboTax Online but don’t have the Standard 8 return package, then he can create a new return in TurboTax Online, but he will be charged separately. He can also create his own account.