Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My husband lives in the US, he does not work and he does not have a status in Canada. How do I enter that on my income taxes?

1 Reply

My husband lives in the US, he does not work and he does not have a status in Canada. How do I enter that on my income taxes?

You can claim support of a non-resident spouse provided that you can prove financial contributions during the year in anamount that satisfies CRA that you are providing for the basic living requirements of your spouse.

Claim this amount if, at any time in the year, you supported your spouse or common-law partner and his or her net income (line 236 of his or her return, or the amount it would be if he or she filed a return) was less than $11,635.

In Turbo Tax you would indicate your marital status, not preparing your spouses return together, and then provide the requested information for your spouse as the software prompts. You do not require a SIN for your spouse. But you must indicate that they have no income or the actual amount of income for the year in CDN funds. They will not be taxable in Canada if they are not considered a resident of this country.