Pick a language

Français English
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Intuit

Where do I claim my employment expenses in the Windows edition of TurboTax?

The following instructions apply to expenses related to permanent employment:

Note: To claim this deduction, you must have a signed T2200 from your employer showing the conditions of your employment. Don’t file the T2200 with your return but do keep a copy for your records.

1. Select Find in the upper-right area.
    • Note: If you don't see the Find button, continue through the Introduction/Profile section until the Find button appears.
  2. In the Find window, type "employment."
  3. Select Employment Expenses from the list of results, then select Go.
  4. On the Employment expenses step, select Yes.
  5. On the Employment Expense Profile step, select all the checkboxes that apply to your situation, then select Continue.
  6. Follow the instructions that appear onscreen to enter your expenses.

You have finished the expenses section when you reach the Employment Expenses Summary step.

The following instructions apply to expenses related to self-employment or contract work AND if you are using TurboTax Home & Business:

• Note: If you don't see the Find button, continue through the Introduction/Profile section until the Find button appears.
  2. In the Find window, type "business."
  3. Select Business profile from the list of results, then select Go.
  4. On the Business expert interview step, select Continue.
  5. The instructions for this step depend on how much of your return you completed so far, so follow the instructions below that match what you see onscreen:
    • If you see the Business summary step and want to enter business expenses for a business not listed onscreen, select Enter New Business for <Name>, then follow the instructions onscreen to reach the expenses section.
    • If you see the Business summary step and want to enter business expenses for a business listed onscreen, select Edit next to that business, then follow the instructions onscreen to reach the expenses section.
    • If you see the <Name>: Business Identification step, answer the question, then select Continue. Follow the instructions onscreen to reach the expenses section.

You have finished the expenses section when you reach the Business summary step.

The following instructions apply to expenses related to self-employment or contract work AND if you are not using TurboTax Home & Business:

2. In the Find window, type "self-employment," select it from the list of results, then select Go.
  3. On the Your self-employment profile for 20xx step, select all of the checkboxes that apply to you, then select Continue.
  4. Follow the instructions onscreen to reach the expenses section.

You have finished the expenses section when you reach the Employment insurance premiums on self-employment and other eligible earnings step.

Note: Make sure you have receipts for all expenses claimed (for example, for gas and repairs). The CRA may ask you to provide them to prove your claims.

Related informationWhere do I claim meal, lodging, and employment expenses as a transport employee?

How do I claim a credit for a tradesperson's tools in TurboTax?

Was this helpful?

You must sign in to vote, reply, or post
Intuit TurboTax - Finish filing and get your maximum refund, guaranteed.

Returning? Sign in