Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
EnglishEN

Pick a language

Français English
Announcements
For information related to Covid-19 and how to get help if you lost your job, please see The Covid-19 Tax Info Center
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Intuit

Why isn't the Capital Cost Allowance (CCA) being calculated on my forms?

Each class of depreciable property has its own CCA rate applied to it. When you prepare your return, make sure you enter the correct class number for each type of depreciable property you are claiming.

To do so, enter the following business and rental information into TurboTax:

• the class numbers of all the depreciable property/equipment you acquired in the tax year;
  • the class numbers of all the depreciable property/equipment that had an unclaimed balance last year; and
  • the undepreciated capital cost (UCC) at the start of the year for each class, if applicable.

TurboTax will then automatically calculate and enter your Cost of Additions and Proceeds of Dispositions. If you used TurboTax in previous years and carry forward your information to the current tax year, TurboTax will also automatically carry forward any relevant information, including business class numbers.

Note: If you're using the Forms method in TurboTax CD/Download, ensure the class numbers in the first column (Class number) of Areas B through F match the class numbers in Area A.

Keep in mind, that if your rental income is $0 (or you incurred a loss) before any CCA is claimed, then this amount may not be claimed on your forms (as CCA can't be used to generate or increase a loss on rental income). The CCA may also be prorated based on dates and duration, so make sure you've entered the correct range of dates in the proper format.

Related information:

How do I claim CCA on a new vehicle?

How do I find the proper CCA class?

What CCA classes should be used for computer and electronic equipment?

Was this helpful?

You must sign in to vote, reply, or post
Intuit TurboTax - Finish filing and get your maximum refund, guaranteed.

Returning? Sign in