Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am I able to split medical expenses between spouses?

2 Replies

Yes you can do that. Just decide the amounts you wish to claim on each return.

However, it is generally not a good idea to split medical, because then each taxpayer will suffer the 3% of Net Income  ( or minimum amount) of credit deductible. In fact, if you are preparing tax jointly using Turbotax, the software will force credit to one spouse or the other, using the lower income partner.

If you do want to split the medical credit, do NOT use joint preparation. Instead opt for separate return preparation.

My wife and I split my pension income. My wife has only cpp and oap. I read that the medical expenses should be claimed by the person with lower income. I filed with med exp on my own return, Turbo Tax did not provide warning, yesterday the refund checks arrived however when I ran another test it appears we could  have received approximately $250 extra if claimed on my wife’s return, 2 questions, 1. Why didn’t Turbo Tax provide warning and 2 now that I have returns what can I do about it? I purchased copy this year as I have done for about last 15 or more years. Having said that this was only the second time I have had expenses greater than the 3% amount!