Did you mean: 
deezerrea

Apprentice mechanic tool deduction

how to fill out the online version in turbotax
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
TurboTaxLise

“Employment expenses”  tab – “Employment Expense Profile”  – CHECK - Expenses paid to earn income as a Salaried Tradesperson towards the bottom of the page you will find - Tradesperson's Tools Expense -  Apprentice mechanic tools expense

Please Note: Tradesperson's Tools - employment expenses.

If someone has purchased tools for work and is eligible to claim the expense, it WILL NOT show up as a deduction until they hit the $1,162 mark. The first $1,161 is included in the Canada Employment Amount that all employees receive.

So if they had $1500 in tools, only $339 will be a deduction. This is also capped at $500 - so if they had $4,000 in tools, they'll still only get a deduction of $500.”

View solution in original post

11 Replies
roxanne1964andra

is there a min amount because the tool cost is not lowering the net income
TurboTaxLise

“Employment expenses”  tab – “Employment Expense Profile”  – CHECK - Expenses paid to earn income as a Salaried Tradesperson towards the bottom of the page you will find - Tradesperson's Tools Expense -  Apprentice mechanic tools expense

Please Note: Tradesperson's Tools - employment expenses.

If someone has purchased tools for work and is eligible to claim the expense, it WILL NOT show up as a deduction until they hit the $1,162 mark. The first $1,161 is included in the Canada Employment Amount that all employees receive.

So if they had $1500 in tools, only $339 will be a deduction. This is also capped at $500 - so if they had $4,000 in tools, they'll still only get a deduction of $500.”

View solution in original post

lmnei

There is a bug in the current version (update installed February 20, 2020) that the apprentice tools deduction will not calculate unless you enter the person's income by hand.  That could easily be missed unless you know how to read the forms and find the amount to enter.  The income amount should be automatically filled in so that the credit appears in the person's T1 calculations.

TurboTaxLise

@lmnei - In the downloaded version of the software, I went in to apply the amount and all calculated correctly.

Please review the link provided below to assist with your entry(if needed):

Beil
Returning Member

I am having the Same Issue with the Online Version. I am getting capped at $500 from the Trades person deduction, but it is not doing anything with the Apprentice mechanic tools expense section, When I know I qualify for more as it showed up last year when I did this.

TurboTaxHeba

Claiming Employment Expenses as an apprentice mechanic is different from the tradesperson.

Tradesperson can claim a maximum amount of their tool's expenses explained in this article https://turbotax.intuit.ca/tips/tax-tip-tools-of-the-trade-deduction-5501

The apprentice mechanic can claim both deductions for the trades-person and the apprentice mechanic as explained in this article https://turbotax.intuit.ca/tips/tax-tip-apprentice-mechanic-additional-tool-deduction-5355

To claim the expenses as an apprentice mechanic, enter the cost of the tools in the proper box as explained below:

trade person and apprentice.png

Beil
Returning Member

That is exactly where I entered the information, same as last year, but it is not making any deduction on line 229 in the online version.

qsaarloos
Returning Member

I also have the same issue where I will input the numbers in the required boxes, but it will not show up on my income expense on the review or on line 229. Last year it worked perfectly fine when I entered the numbers the same way.

TurboTaxHeba

When you claim the Employment Expenses for the apprentice mechanic deductions, you need to fill the boxes for both the tradesperson and the apprentice mechanic. 

You need to enter your employment income and the net income for the software to calculate the eligible amount:

I hope this was helpful

v