Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you tell me on how to post T4RIF line 16 to show non-taxable income?

On the left side of the document it indicates Status Indian Tax Exempt. This was monies invested into a tax exempt retirement plan on a reserve.. It shows that I owe big bucks in income tax but that is not correct.  

5 Replies

Are you using the online software or did you install it on your computer with a key code?

I am using the online program.

From CRA:

"Registered retirement savings plan (RRSP) income

If you earn exempt income only and you have contributed to an RRSP, you cannot deduct your contributions on your tax return. By the same token, any withdrawals of your original RRSP contributions will not be taxable. However, since your exempt income did not create any RRSP contribution room, you will have to pay a penalty under Part X.1 of the Income Tax Act for your non-deductible contributions to your RRSP. Any investment earnings you withdraw from the RRSP will be taxed in the same way as interest and investment income.

If you earn taxable income and contribute to an RRSP, the normal rules on claiming RRSP deductions apply to you (i.e., contributions will be deductible within the allowable limits based on earned income, and all withdrawals will be taxable)."

This was my private pension plan through my work and was told it was tax exempt. My income from my work is tax exempt!

I totally understand the income is tax exempt but according to this, you would not be able to contribute to an RRSP. I'm confused by the t4rif as these come from RRSPs. I am going to continue to research this because I want the answer too.