Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Oct 31, 2019 1:08:49 AM

Can I claim a Driver's Medical exam fee that was paid to my doctor for the exam and form?

0 7 11372
7 Replies
Level 13
Oct 31, 2019 1:08:51 AM

Yes, you can claim a driver's medical exam fee as a medical expense on your income tax return.

Mar 11, 2021 11:54:21 AM

With all respect, I didn't find it into the eligible medical expenses list.  Happy to have the info, but it's based on which CRA resources???

Intuit Alumni
Mar 14, 2021 7:44:39 AM

You can claim any medical examinations (not related to plastic surgeries) as medical expenses: https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/forms-publications/publications/rc4065/medical-expenses-2016.html

If you have private health insurance that covers a portion of the fee, you can claim the uncovered portion only. 

I hope this was helpful 

Apr 25, 2021 9:55:36 AM

Hi there, 

If the Driver's Medical exam was required as a condition of continued employment, may I include this expense under Employment Expenses rather than Medical Expenses? (paid for personally, not reimbursed)

Thank you

Aug 12, 2022 3:26:52 PM

Do you have an up to date resource, I cannot find this on the CRA site.  The link you have provided throws an error that the page does not exist.

Aug 3, 2023 10:54:48 AM

According to CRA, this fee cannot be claimed as a medical expense.

Refer: Qualifying Health Care Supplies and the Application of the GST/HST to Supplies of Medical Examinations, Assessments, Reports and Certificates - Canada.ca

Please see Example 10 of the document.  

Rationale

Provinces have certain conditions that must be met in order for an individual to have a driver’s licence. Generally, these conditions include that an individual not have any physical or mental health conditions that would interfere with their driving or visual abilities. Therefore, the purpose of this supply is to determine if an individual meets the health requirements to retain or renew a driver’s licence and not for the purposes described in the definition of qualifying health care supply.

The supply is not a qualifying health care supply as the purpose of this supply is not included in paragraphs (a) to (e) of the definition of qualifying health care supply in section 1 of Part II of Schedule V

Apr 25, 2024 5:37:11 PM

That last post references schedule V to the Excise Tax Act.  It's only relevant for GST, and deals with what qualifies as an exempt supply for GST.  So you can expect that you will be charged GST for the exam related to your drivers license (or you should be). 

Subsection 118.2(2) of the Income Tax Act just says that you can claim an amount paid to a medical practitioner in respect of medical or dental services provided to the individual or spouse or dependent.   So unless I'm overlooking something elsewhere in section 118.2 that restricts that, I would think that the doctor is providing a medical service to you, and therefore it should qualify.