Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I claim the CAI for my child?

2 Replies

Thank you for choosing TurboTax,

As per CRA, 

You can claim the CAI payment for a dependant if, on December 31, 2020, your child or dependant (or your spouse’s or common-law partner’s child or dependant):

• was dependent on you (or your spouse or common-law partner) for support
  • lived with you (in the same home)
  • was under 18 years old
  • was not married or living in a common-law partnership, and
  • was not a parent that lives with their child

You cannot claim the CAI payment for a dependant if at any time during 2020 your child or dependant (or your spouse or common-law partner’s child or dependant) was:

• a non-resident of Canada
  • confined to a prison or a similar institution for a period of at least 90 days during the year
  • an officer or servant of the government of another country, such as a diplomat, a family member who resided with such a person, or an employee of such a person, or
  • a person for whom a children’s special allowance was payable

Please visit our TurboTax article on Claim the Climate Action Incentive – Carbon Tax Rebate.

i_paytaxes
Returning Member

I am so confused here to answer, please help. Why would TurboTax ask this questions very unprofessional way. I have attached the questions please help. I am married, live with spouse and have 2 under 10yrs old kids. If I answer NO to below questions, my CIA credit shows $0, if I say "YES" to those questions then I get $75 credit for each child. Here an example of the question,

Not confined to a prison or a similar institution for a period of at least 90 days during 2020?

Well, my child has not been confined to a prison ect..so I have to have to answer "NO" correct or "YES" to above question? Please check the attach picture and help me to answer. Thank you!20210622_162612.jpg20210622_162631.jpg