Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I claim the cost of incontinence supplies if it is related to a medical issue?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
fuzzy

Can I claim the cost of incontinence supplies if it is related to a medical issue?

Yes.  If due to a medical issue, they can be claimed as a medical expense

View solution in original post

3 Replies
fuzzy

Yes.  If due to a medical issue, they can be claimed as a medical expense

Does this mean I can claim Depends etc.?  Do I need to have documentation that it is due to a medical issue?
fuzzy

Yes.  However you will need a letter from a medical doctor stating that it is due to a medical issue.  Canada Revenue says:  Products required because of incontinence
1.87 The cost of diapers, disposable briefs, catheters, catheter trays, tubing, or other products required by a patient because of incontinence caused by illness, injury or affliction are eligible medical expenses under paragraph 118.2(2)(i.1). The reference to other products in paragraph 118.2(2)(i.1) is restricted to the same class of products as diapers, disposable briefs, catheters, catheter trays, and tubing. To the extent that items such as bed clothing, disposable gloves for caregivers, body ointments and baby wipes are generic and not designed for use by incontinent persons, the expenses would not be considered medical expenses under paragraph 118.2(2)(i.1).