Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fmakela

Can I indicate different amounts for private health insurance in my Federal and Quebec returns?

In QC, employer-paid premiums are taxable benefits (box J of RL1) included in income (box A of RL1). This amount can be included in calculating medical expense credits.

However, employer premiums are not included in federal income. Consequently, only the employee  premiums are deductible (box 85 of T4).

How do I include premiums paid my employer in my QC medical expenses, but not in my federal medical expenses?
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
TurboTaxLynda
Intuit Alumni

Can I indicate different amounts for private health insurance in my Federal and Quebec returns?

TurboTax does it for you when you enter your T-slips.

Your employee-paid premiums for private health services plans should be on your T4 Box 85 and on your Relevé 1 Box 235.  The amount shown in Box J of the Relevé 1 is the portion paid by your employer (which could be the same amount but this amount is deductible only in Québec). 

When entering your T4 (Box 85) and Relevé 1 (Box J + Box 235), TurboTax will automatically transfer your contributions to your total medical expenses. 

Please note that you will not see these amounts in your medical expense receipts but rather at the bottom of the MED & QMED worksheet (available only in the CD / Download version) and it will be included in your total medical expenses used to calculate the credit.  Line 330 of Schedule 1 (CRA) & line 36 of Schedule B (Québec).

View solution in original post

1 Reply
TurboTaxLynda
Intuit Alumni

TurboTax does it for you when you enter your T-slips.

Your employee-paid premiums for private health services plans should be on your T4 Box 85 and on your Relevé 1 Box 235.  The amount shown in Box J of the Relevé 1 is the portion paid by your employer (which could be the same amount but this amount is deductible only in Québec). 

When entering your T4 (Box 85) and Relevé 1 (Box J + Box 235), TurboTax will automatically transfer your contributions to your total medical expenses. 

Please note that you will not see these amounts in your medical expense receipts but rather at the bottom of the MED & QMED worksheet (available only in the CD / Download version) and it will be included in your total medical expenses used to calculate the credit.  Line 330 of Schedule 1 (CRA) & line 36 of Schedule B (Québec).