Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I use my unused Charitable Donations from previous years for my new husband (we are filing together) even though we weren't married when I donated?

I have charitable donations from when I was single that I didn't claim because my income wasn't high enough for it to make a difference. Now that I am married I wonder if I can use those unused credits/donations on my new husbands tax return since he made significantly more than I did, even though I was single when I made those donations? We are filing together and using our current year donations on his return. 

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can I use my unused Charitable Donations from previous years for my new husband (we are filing together) even though we weren't married when I donated?

You can use unused charitable contributions for up to 5 years back, and yes, if you and your husband's marital status as of Dec 31, 2015 was 'married' then you can combine all the donations on one spouse or the other.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

You can use unused charitable contributions for up to 5 years back, and yes, if you and your husband's marital status as of Dec 31, 2015 was 'married' then you can combine all the donations on one spouse or the other.