Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can turbotax help me if I'm a deemed resident?

9 Replies

Yes, you can use our TurboTax software when you are a deemed resident. What do you need assistance with?

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

If I select Resident/Deemed Resident, I get a message saying that this software isn't for me. Is there something different I need to be doing?

Which TurboTax software are you trying to use where you get this message?

amarieeden
Returning Member

Moved to Australia mid year but was in canada for 183 days - which program will allow turbotax to help me with international income and deemed resident?

You would use TurboTax Premier- Once you start your return you would enter your name and that you are doing your own return- then you will get to the page where it asks  you- Where did you live on December 31, 2022? You would enter the province as "Deemed Resident". Did you move from another province/territory in 2022? Yes. When did you move? enter the date then Which option best describes your residency status as of December 31, 2022? you would choose -I was a deemed resident of Canada because I stayed for 183 days or more in 2022.  Then Country of residence on December 31, 2022 you will put Australia - if that is where you were on that date. Then continue. Answer every question- enter what is necessary and continue until you have completed each section.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

amarieeden
Returning Member

Ok - are you absolutely sure because when I tried with the basic software, it said turbotax didnt support deemed resident returns, so this will work if i purchase premier? 

It makes you pay before you do your return so If i cant do it, it will cost my husband and I 379$ for us both to do it so I need to know it will certainly work!

Where are you getting the $379 dollar amount from?

amarieeden
Returning Member

When I add both my husband's and I tax returns with the premier option - appears we need to do it separately as its a deemed resident return. Im happy to pay for two returns so as long as we are able to file our return through you guys having earned some income in Australia but were still deemed residents of Canada as we were there for more than 183 days etc. Please confirm this is possible through your most expensive return option so I can do it asap 🙂 

Unfortunately, if you did not live in Canada as of December 31, 2022 then you will not be able to use our TurboTax Live Full Service.