Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
5410jose

Child day care who should claim it the receipt is under my spouses name

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If you and your spouse are filing your tax returns together and preparing the returns simultaneously, when you enter the childcare receipts, TurboTax will automatically claim them on the spouse with the "lower earned income". 

If you are not preparing the tax returns simultaneously, you will need to enter the receipts on the "lower income earner's" tax return as CRA requires they be claimed this way. As long as you are claiming married/common-law with your spouse, it does not matter whose name the receipts are issued in.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

If you and your spouse are filing your tax returns together and preparing the returns simultaneously, when you enter the childcare receipts, TurboTax will automatically claim them on the spouse with the "lower earned income". 

If you are not preparing the tax returns simultaneously, you will need to enter the receipts on the "lower income earner's" tax return as CRA requires they be claimed this way. As long as you are claiming married/common-law with your spouse, it does not matter whose name the receipts are issued in.