Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

climate action incentive wont allow me to unclaim the stupid thing.. another member of my household who doesnt use turbo tax claims it

I need to make it so it doesn't claim THE CLIMATE ACTION INCENTIVE AUTOMATICALLY FOR ME . I unclick the one box in the provincial profile but yet it still shows up in the summary."it then says at the top to use the easy step navigator to go to the interview step where you entered the information, and delete it there"  I DIDN"T SELECT IT TO BEGIN WITH ITS THE STUPID THING YOU GUYS AUTOMATICALLY MAKE APPLY AND IF THIS DON'T GET FIXED I WONT BOTHER USING TURBO TAX AGAIN>>>> MAJOR FLAW>>> YOU THINK EVERYONE IN THE HOUSE GOES ON THE SAME RETURN OR EVERYONE USED TURBO TAX NO!! so fix this blunder now please..Turbo tax i'am starting to be very disappointed in. Ufile is way easier to use my friends tell me. 

6 Replies

climate action incentive wont allow me to unclaim the stupid thing.. another member of my household who doesnt use turbo tax claims it

Unfortunately, once you have claimed the Climate Action Incentive credit you will not be able to unclaim it. You would have to start a new tax return.

jpmadsen
Returning Member

Finally figured it out with a lot of trial and error. You need to check the box under the Provincial Tax Credits that says "NEW! Climate Action Incentive (CAI) federal credit available for residents of Alberta". If this is not checked, you will not have the option to say who is claiming the credit. On the next pages you will be able to select options to say who will claim the credit. I was making the mistake of un-checking this box thinking it would remove the credit. It needs to be selected to pick the options. Hope this helps others.

my form is different than yours. I submit as a single. And i am in Ontario so it definitely didn't look like the one you described. But thank you for the reply!

The only way someone else could have claimed it for you is if they had you as a dependant. If not, then they didn't claim your part of the CAI.

This is not a reply that seems to understand what the issue is. Basically I was given the tax credit automatically, but I need to make it so it is optional. I ended up having to pay my parents the $ that I was given in this credit as I live with them currently and turbo tax doesn't make it so I can opt out of getting the credit, so my parents COULD NOT use turbo tax since I did my taxes first. They again this year can't use TT as you guys still have not fixed the issue. It is once again automatically applying, though I have not looked at the whole site yet but so far it seems thats the same. But of course I had other issues (face palm emoji), you added pages that weren't on the TT self employed when I did it for my 2019 taxes, and now its added confusion. 

Brenda correct me if i am wrong, but ONLY the two home owners can claim the credit? Not all the adults over 18 living there? Thats my current situation. I am over 18 and its applying it automatically, but I shouldn't be claiming it as my parents are the home owners, not me?