Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
Returning Member
posted Mar 6, 2023 3:12:14 PM

Date on medical expenses does not work

Im trying to claim past medical expenses but the date will not change?

0 20 1080
20 Replies
Level 2
Mar 7, 2023 5:31:46 PM

You can claim any eligible medical expenses if they occurred in a 12-month period that ends in the current tax year. After you enter your medical expenses, TurboTax will prompt you to choose your 12-month claim period. Be sure that you are working on this period.

For example, the oldest medical expense that you can claim on your 2022 return is an expense from January 2, 2022, using a claim period of January 2, 2022, to January 1, 2023.

If you have a large amount of expenses in the latter part of the tax year, it might be better to save them and claim them with medical expenses you have in the early part of the following tax year. For example, if most of your medical expenses occurred after May 15, 2022, you can save them for your 2022 tax return. At that time, you can use a 12-month period of May 15, 2022 to May 14, 2023, and claim all expenses that fall within that period.

You can use a different 12-month period each year--the period doesn’t have to start where your previous 12-month period ended. However, you can't claim the same expenses more than once.

Thank for choosing TurboTax.

Returning Member
Mar 9, 2023 5:31:42 PM

I asks you to select a date for the medical expenses  but when you click the date and then next and the  date changes back to 2022 so now CRA thinks you are using medical expenses for 2022? 

Mar 11, 2023 10:54:59 AM

@scofenn If you are preparing a return for 2022, then your claim period must end in 2022. For example, if all the expenses you are claiming are from 2021, then you would enter a period of Jan 2 2021 to Jan 1 2022.

Returning Member
Mar 11, 2023 11:27:28 AM

I know how medical expenses work.  I want CRA to know that my medical expense date ends Jan.30.2022 but when I select that date it changes by itself to Jan to Dec. 2022.  ??// 

Mar 12, 2023 11:41:47 AM

Please contact our phone support team at 1-888-829-8608 as they will be better able to assist you.

Returning Member
Apr 3, 2023 1:04:27 PM

Were you able to have this resolved? Having a similar issue and I just spent an hour on the phone with support and they weren't able to help. 

Apr 7, 2023 7:52:36 AM

Did you enter any receipts from 2021 or did you check off that you only had receipts from 2022?

Returning Member
Apr 24, 2023 8:20:56 AM

I too am having an issue with Turbo Tax not accepting my chosen claim period. I've plugged in 13/04/2021 to 12/04/2022, which follows the guidelines and has worked in the past, but not this year. Both boxes have been ticked as far as 2022 receipts and unused 2021 receipts being submitted. Talking to support they said they too got an error message with any start date not 2022, so they suggested I use the dates I found did work, 01/01/2022 to 31/12/2022. Not comfortable with this as it's not accurate, and will mess me up in following years. I have to go into town today anyway so I guess I'll add paper return to my shopping list, yikes!

Level 1
Apr 8, 2024 4:06:26 PM

I too am experiencing this problem, can't seem to claim past medical expenses, the claim period doesn't seem to actually be aggregating the medical expenses into a single 12 month claim period, behind the scenes it's as if the claim period is stuck in 2023 exclusively.

Apr 9, 2024 7:39:25 AM

Are your dates for the 12 month period ending within the 2023 year? For clarification, please see our TurboTax article: How do I choose a claim period for medical expenses? 

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

Level 1
Apr 9, 2024 9:25:28 AM

Ok, what was found was that the claim period has to be at the beginning of month 1 and at the end of month 12, if you're a few days off, the claim period doesn't work.

Would recommend fixing the UI for this.

Apr 9, 2024 9:44:29 AM

Thank you for the update and for your feedback, we value your opinion and will share this information with the proper TurboTax team.

Returning Member
Apr 9, 2024 10:05:11 AM

Also, I think the end date needs to be in 2023 but not sure?   They don't really say this anywhere that is convenient.  

Apr 9, 2024 10:10:44 AM

Are your dates for the 12 month period ending within the 2023 year? For clarification, please see our TurboTax article: How do I choose a claim period for medical expenses? 

If you still need help with this situation, we believe your best option is to contact our telephone support team for further assistance, as they have the option to view your screen to help resolve the issue. To contact them, please follow this link: Contact Us. When asked if you wish to receive an email say NO then say "speak to a representative" then hold the line. If you do not find resolution please ask for an escalation to begin an investigation.

​​​​​​​Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

Level 2
Apr 27, 2024 8:40:53 AM

I also had problems with choosing a period ending in the year as the dates input would default to the calendar year when previewing the return. Spent over TWO HOURS on the phone with support, escalated to Tier 2 support, with NO SOLUTION. The software seems not capable of handling the dates input for the claim period. As this topic goes back over a year, this has been an ongoing and UNRESOLVED problem with the software. Ultimately, I asked for and received a license key for a desktop download version that I have been using for over a decade. No issues.

I also requested a call-back from management/supervisory staff and we're now almost three days later without any such contact. Terrible customer service at the risk of losing a long-time customer. Shame on Intuit.

PS Also noted that the online version does not treat foreign tax paid and foreign tax credits the same way as the desktop version. What gives?

Apr 27, 2024 9:48:11 AM

We are sorry to hear that your experience with our phone support was less than optimal. 

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. 

When entering a 12-month period for medical expenses, one common mistake many people make is entering the dates as November 23, 2022, to November 23, 2023. This will not work and it will automatically revert to January 1st, 2023 to December 31st, 2023. To avoid this issue, please enter the dates as November 23, 2022 to November 22, 2023. It is the difference of one day that will make all the difference.

Level 1
Apr 27, 2024 3:29:50 PM

I remember distinctly trying this a number of times (date to date - 1day), and this did not work, only on month boundaries did this work. 

My only guess is because this was a leap year, a calculation was fumbled. I would implore the Intuit team to look closer at this or create a better UI, where all you have to do is set the starting date.

Level 2
Apr 27, 2024 4:40:56 PM

Thank you @arthur5005 . The leap year issue is the best guess I've heard on this topic. 

I am using a twelve month period ending in the tax year that lands on the first of a month. At this point, I have been provided with the downloadable software and have proceeded with that accordingly as it absolutely allows the dates that I need.

Thanks again for your feedback.

PS I haven't been able to determine whether one can use less than a twelve month period as I suspect that most would never be in a position to want to claim less medical expenses. In a catastrophic health year, however, one might accrue more medical expenses, and therefore higher non-refundable tax credits, than one might otherwise be able to use.

Level 2
Apr 27, 2024 5:36:18 PM

@arthur5005 

Upon reflection, arthur, the leap year wasn't until 2024 so you'd think that theory might apply to next year's software development. Perhaps an excuse for it not work next year either? 🤔

Level 1
Apr 27, 2024 8:25:22 PM

ah yeah, good point! 😕 I can't think of anything else, just some bad ui design I guess...