Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Oct 29, 2019 7:39:03 PM

Does Turbo Tax automatically calculate the Northern Residents deduction?? my return shows ZERO deduction??

I have always claimed Northern Residents benefits -- my summary of Turbo Tax shows ZERO deduction for the Northern Residents line ?? Where do I enter my data??

0 6 2004
1 Best answer
Oct 29, 2019 7:39:04 PM

Hello,

In the Profile section (on the second  What happened for you in 2014? screen), you'll see the following question: are there other deductions such as public transit, union or professional dues or alimony that you want to claim?

Click Yes. 

Then, select the I live in a remote area and qualify for the northern residents deduction checkbox.

Please post back if you have any other questions,

Jacquelyn

6 Replies
Oct 29, 2019 7:39:04 PM

Hello,

In the Profile section (on the second  What happened for you in 2014? screen), you'll see the following question: are there other deductions such as public transit, union or professional dues or alimony that you want to claim?

Click Yes. 

Then, select the I live in a remote area and qualify for the northern residents deduction checkbox.

Please post back if you have any other questions,

Jacquelyn

Oct 29, 2019 7:39:05 PM

I had the opposite problem. I went to the Profile section as you claimed and made sure it said "NO" to other deductions but still my return says I am claiming a Northern Residents Deduction. I am not a Northern resident! I live in Toronto! How do I get out of asking for this deduction?

Oct 29, 2019 7:39:07 PM

Me too, but I am in BC!

Oct 29, 2019 7:39:08 PM

yep me too

Apr 1, 2022 9:23:35 AM

Happened to me in 2021, inserted a $10,718  deduction, and again this year $2,748. Their is a glitch in the program(premier). Do not know how to fix it, except to refile using line 256000? Is  anybody  able to provide a better solution?

Level 15
Apr 7, 2022 8:50:15 AM

Can you please let me know which TurboTax version you are using - Deluxe, Premier or Home & Business? Online or Download version? Then I will be able to assist you further.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax