Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pbroza

How do I adjust refundable tax credit as deemed-resident just for part of the year?

I've been deemed resident in Canada for 7 months (I entered date in "Enter the date you ceased to be a resident of Canada during 2017 (dd/mm)".  After that I had little income in another country, which have been taxed also there and this country have tax treaty with Canada. I entered foreign income under Other Income, Deductions and Credits Line 256. I also reported it under Foreign Slip and under contact info "Income from Foreign sources, plus Canadian sourced Part XIII income, for the part of the year when you were not a resident of Canada". But now my non-refundable tax credit is adjusted based on days I spent in Canada. But my Canadian income was over 90% of world income, so I should get full tax credit.

1 Reply

How do I adjust refundable tax credit as deemed-resident just for part of the year?

Only if the Canadian-source income you are reporting for the part of the year you were not a resident of Canada is at least 90% of your net world income for that part of the year, are you entitled to the basic personal amount in full. Your Canadian-source income may be over 90% of your world income, but it was not earned in the 5 months after you ceased to be a resident.

https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/replies/2648045