Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I find out the taxable portion of my child support received? Is it the same as the total payments amount?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

How do I find out the taxable portion of my child support received? Is it the same as the total payments amount?

Child support payments are not taxable (unless your child support order is dated prior to May 1997) so the taxable portion would be zero. Spousal support payments are taxable (and a tax deduction to the payor). 

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Child support payments are not taxable (unless your child support order is dated prior to May 1997) so the taxable portion would be zero. Spousal support payments are taxable (and a tax deduction to the payor). 

Ladop221
Returning Member

Everything I find says child support is not taxable. But it asks for it on my State return and then deducts money from my refund when I enter it. Why is that?

@Ladop221 This is the support site for the Canadian TurboTax. For assistance with U.S. versions of TurboTax, please visit the website for TurboTax USA.