Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to claim just a portion of the disability tax credit on line 316 so the remaining amount can be transferred to a supporting individual

If I tell turbo tax I am disabled and eligible for the deduction I am forced to claim the full amount on line 316 which leaves nothing to transfer to a supporting individual.  However it is clear that a supporting indivdual can claim all or a portion of the deduction on lien 318 of their tax form.  turbo tax does not seem to let my claim just a portion to reduce my taxes to $0.00.  Is there any way to over ride the amount of the deduction I am claiming.  I have tried the usual over ride methods and they do not seem to work here/
1 Reply

How to claim just a portion of the disability tax credit on line 316 so the remaining amount can be transferred to a supporting individual

No need for an override or to change the amount listed.

TurboTax shows the entire amount of the credit on your return. That doesn't mean you can't transfer the unused portion. When the person receiving the transfer prepares their return, they'll enter you as a dependant and add information from your return (net income, etc.) in order to claim the unused portion.

In other words, the transfer is done using your income and credit amounts - not the actual unused amount figure.

https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/replies/3293463