Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to claim tuition fee (T2202) for year 2020 when filing 2021 tax return?

Hello there,

I took a continuous education course at the University of Toronto in 2020. When I was filing my tax return for year 2020, my T2202 form was not available. Now I have my T2202 for the academic year of 2020  but I can't figure out how to claim the tuition fee for the previous year of 2020.  Can someone please explain to me how it could be done?

Thank you all.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If you didn't claim your Tuition Fee for 2020, you will need to make an adjustment for that tax year. Then once the adjustments are processed by Canada Revenue Agency  (CRA), the amount can be used on your current year's return or in any year which they are needed. 

If you ever require Tuition Credits, the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) will immediately use them to reduce any tax liabilities you may have. By going into your Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) My Account and filling out the T2202A slips online, or by mailing in the T2202A slips and a printed adjustment, you can make an adjustment to your prior year tax returns. (Because T2202A slips are likely to be required, it may be easier to finish the adjustment and mail it in.)

The CRA will keep track of these adjustments and apply the amounts to any tax return for which you need them. More information on filing adjustments can be found in this link: I've filed my tax return. Can I still make changes?

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

If you didn't claim your Tuition Fee for 2020, you will need to make an adjustment for that tax year. Then once the adjustments are processed by Canada Revenue Agency  (CRA), the amount can be used on your current year's return or in any year which they are needed. 

If you ever require Tuition Credits, the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) will immediately use them to reduce any tax liabilities you may have. By going into your Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) My Account and filling out the T2202A slips online, or by mailing in the T2202A slips and a printed adjustment, you can make an adjustment to your prior year tax returns. (Because T2202A slips are likely to be required, it may be easier to finish the adjustment and mail it in.)

The CRA will keep track of these adjustments and apply the amounts to any tax return for which you need them. More information on filing adjustments can be found in this link: I've filed my tax return. Can I still make changes?

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

Hey Tweetynae25, thanks a lot for answering my question. It did help me figure this out.