Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to reduce my tax w unused donations and unused education.

1 Reply

How to reduce my tax w unused donations and unused education.

Both the tuition credit and the charitable tax credit are non-refundable credits. This means that they can be used to reduce any taxes that you owe. But if you don’t have any taxes owing, they will not add to your refund. Any tuition or charitable donations that you do not use this year can be carried forward.

If you would like to claim your unused tuition in TurboTax Online, please use the “Find” tool to search for “tuition”. Select “Tuition Fees Carryforward” from the list and then click the “Go” button. There you can enter your unused federal and provincial tuition and education amounts. Then click “Continue” to save your changes.

If you would like to claim your unused donations in TurboTax Online, please use the “Find” tool to search for “don”. Select “Donations Profile” from the list and then click the “Go” button. There you can check off whatever applies to you and then click “Continue” to go through the pages.

If you have TurboTax Live Assist & Review, see this TurboTax FAQ to learn how to talk to a Tax Expert or book a review: In TurboTax Live Assist & Review, how do I talk to a tax expert?

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.