Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I became a care giver in 2018 and have many additional expenses are any deductable?

5 Replies

I became a care giver in 2018 and have many additional expenses are any deductable?

Can you give us a few more details please? Are you working as a CareGiver and being paid an hourly wage, or are you "contracted out" (self-employed)?

I am the only care giver at no cost?however i do have the help of a house cleaner at 80 per month and added car  expenses etc

Is the person you are giving care to a family member or your spouse?

• If you are "self-employed" as a CareGiver, you may be able to deduct expenses against any income you are earning. You would need to complete the Self-Employed section of TurboTax to claim these expenses, however you must have some income to apply them against.
  • If you are providing care to a family member, you may be eligible to claim the "Canada CareGiver Credit". More information on this credit can be found here:  https://bit.ly/2PPh21L
  • If you are employed by someone else and your job requires you to pay for these expenses out of your own pocket, you may be able to claim "Employment Expenses" against any income you earn.

If you are providing care for someone whom you are not related to, and not being paid for your duties, there really are no tax deductions available for you. 

I have taken care of my brother who had a brain tumor  - from  August 2020 until his death on December 11, 2022.  I did not receive any remuneration for my help as it was for me just family duty to my brother.