Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I missed the past 3 years of claiming child care expenses. I figured out how to do it for this year but I'm wondering if there is a way to claim the amount I missed

1 Reply

I missed the past 3 years of claiming child care expenses. I figured out how to do it for this year but I'm wondering if there is a way to claim the amount I missed

Thank you for choosing TurboTax,

As per CRA, it is not possible to carry forward unclaimed child care expenses to a subsequent tax year

However, you can make changes (amendments) to your current tax return, as well as a tax return for any of the previous 10 tax years, whether you filed by mail or electronically using NETFILE. Here’s how you should proceed to make changes:

1. Wait until you receive your notice of assessment from the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA).
  2. Once you’ve received your notice of assessment, visit the page http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/tpcs/ncm-tx/chngrtrn-eng.html?locale=en-ca&view=GBD_TURBOTAX?loca...  on the CRA website.
  3. Follow the instructions on the CRA website. You can change your return online or by mail.
    If you choose to amend your return(s) online, the processing time is approximately 2 weeks.
    If you choose to amend your return(s) by mail, the processing time is approximately 8 weeks.

Please visit our Turbotax FQA on I have filed my tax return. Can I still make changes? to learn more about making changes on your tax return.