Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JanelleP

Can I claim charitable donations for previous years the same year I claim the First Time Donor credit?

As I have never submitted charitable donation receipts on my taxes I qualify for the First Time Donor Credit this year (2016). Seprate from my 2016 donations, can I also add in the donations I made in previous years (before 2016) and send my receipts to the CRA per TurboTax instructions? I see a seprate area to enter donations from previous years in TurboTax.
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can I claim charitable donations for previous years the same year I claim the First Time Donor credit?

The First-time donor's super credit (FDSC) supplements the value of the charitable donations tax credit (CDTC) by 25% on donations made after March 20, 2013, by a first-time donor.

As per CRA First-time donor’s super credit is any donation made after March 20,2013. The FDSC applies to a gift of money made after March 20, 2013, up to a maximum of $1,000, in respect of only one taxation year from 2013 to 2017.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
JanelleP

If I can claim charitable donations from 2015 and earlier, do I get the 25% credit top up (first time donor credit) for those donations as well? I am debating waiting to claim my donations for next year (2017 tax year).

Thanks for your help!

The First-time donor's super credit (FDSC) supplements the value of the charitable donations tax credit (CDTC) by 25% on donations made after March 20, 2013, by a first-time donor.

As per CRA First-time donor’s super credit is any donation made after March 20,2013. The FDSC applies to a gift of money made after March 20, 2013, up to a maximum of $1,000, in respect of only one taxation year from 2013 to 2017.

JanelleP

Thanks for answering my question. I have some more questions just to make sure I understand:
1) I haven't entered any charitable donations on my tax returns previously. If I am claiming the FDSC this year, can I still claim my donations from previous years (2013-15) on my taxes this year?
2) If I claim the FDSC this year (2016 tax year), would I get the additional FDSC 25% on my 2013-15 charitable donations?
3) Are my previous donations and 2016 donations separated out on my taxes?