Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jazzyb_26
Returning Member

If I have a charitable donation receipt for $1000. Can I actually split it between me and my spouse for $500.00 each so we can decrease our taxes owing?

My spouse and I both have taxes owing, but if i split the charity donation - it will eliminate that tax owing for both of us.
5 Replies

If I have a charitable donation receipt for $1000. Can I actually split it between me and my spouse for $500.00 each so we can decrease our taxes owing?

Please follow the below steps on how to split the charitable donation with your spouse:

Instructions for TurboTax Online

1. Select Find (or the magnifying glass icon) from the menu
  2. Enter donation profile and select Go
  3. When you get to the Maximizing Your Charitable Donations page, there is a question asking if you want to override the optimizer. If you select yes, then “Manually enter the amounts you want to claim?” then you can enter what amounts you want each spouse to claim.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax. 

jazzyb_26
Returning Member

Thank you Guriraji for your response!

I did come across that, but was wondering if you could clarify the relationship between the two line items when you opt to manually enter the amounts you want to claim:

- Maximum Donation amount you can claim

- Donation amount you want to claim this year

Can Donation amount you want to claim this year be greater than what is listed as the maximum donation amount you can claim?

Thanks again for your insights.

jazzyb_26
Returning Member

Actually - I have just tested it - it can't be greater than.

So, I am still uncertain how I can split it using the override option.

randyfai

The answer does not appear to apply if you are not working on line, but have purchased and downloaded Turbo tax on your computer. Purchased the disc from Staples.

Please advise, I would like to claim some charitable donations on my return and some on my spouses?

thank you

@randyfai If you are using EasyStep Mode, then enter your donation receipts, then go forward past the carry forward page, and you should get the option to split the credit.

If you are using Forms Mode, then override the line "Less: Amount claimed by your spouse or common law partner (if applicable)". This override will not affect your ability to NETFILE.