Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Larger tax savings with a coupled return...

My wife filed here 2014 income taxes separately, but we discovered that by filing a "coupled return", our combined tax savings is larger than filing individually crafted returns.  Is it possible to rescind her filing and submit our return using the coupled product?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If you have opened a "My Account" with Canada Revenue, I believe that you can go on and make changes to your return before thay have begun to process it.  You will have to have the figures for the coupled returns to plug into the individual returns. You may have to pay for the two coupled returns in order to save a copy for later corrections.  Make sure there is enough of a difference to make it worth while.

Another method is to wait until the returns are processed and then do a T1 adjustment request to correct any errors.  CRA may correct it themselves depending on the change.

Make sure you know exactly what is causing the difference between the two sets of forms, to determine which set really is the correct one.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

If you have opened a "My Account" with Canada Revenue, I believe that you can go on and make changes to your return before thay have begun to process it.  You will have to have the figures for the coupled returns to plug into the individual returns. You may have to pay for the two coupled returns in order to save a copy for later corrections.  Make sure there is enough of a difference to make it worth while.

Another method is to wait until the returns are processed and then do a T1 adjustment request to correct any errors.  CRA may correct it themselves depending on the change.

Make sure you know exactly what is causing the difference between the two sets of forms, to determine which set really is the correct one.