Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chiemi

Is it bugs in Medical Plan Expense deduction screen? How come the number I entered in Medical Plan expense decution shows up in my partner's account?

I entered medical plan expense in my tax return. However, that amount shows up in my parterner's tax return.  I tried to change but it does not allow.  How can I change it?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Is it bugs in Medical Plan Expense deduction screen? How come the number I entered in Medical Plan expense decution shows up in my partner's account?

If you are doing joint preparation of returns with your partner,Turbotax will apply Medical expense to the partner who gets more tax credit for it.

Generally you should place Medical expense credit on the partner with lower Net Income, which Turbotax is doing . The reason for this is the 3% Net Income or minimum amount threshold which is applied to Medical expense non-refundable credit.

You can only determine credit distribution by avoiding the joint preparation process. Start new returns for you and your partner and in each case ensure you are doing individual preparation.

Be careful what you assign though, as you and your partner might pay more tax than you need.

CRA won't bother to change that!

View solution in original post

2 Replies

If you are doing joint preparation of returns with your partner,Turbotax will apply Medical expense to the partner who gets more tax credit for it.

Generally you should place Medical expense credit on the partner with lower Net Income, which Turbotax is doing . The reason for this is the 3% Net Income or minimum amount threshold which is applied to Medical expense non-refundable credit.

You can only determine credit distribution by avoiding the joint preparation process. Start new returns for you and your partner and in each case ensure you are doing individual preparation.

Be careful what you assign though, as you and your partner might pay more tax than you need.

CRA won't bother to change that!

Yet another reason to move to another program. it is much more difficult to fill out two separate forms. Unacceptable that we cannot override this setting at all. It has never happened to us in previous years either.