Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it normal that when i input charity donations, tuitions fees and bus passes that my refund stays the same?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ArtofTax

Is it normal that when i input charity donations, tuitions fees and bus passes that my refund stays the same?

No it's not usual but it does happen.

This depends on whether or not you owe any tax.

There are a lot of other possibilities, but the reason is likely that you don't need the either of those credits.

If you owed taxes and had charitable donations, tuition or public transit passes, those credits would reduce your taxes owed until they were reduced to $ 0.00.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
ArtofTax

No it's not usual but it does happen.

This depends on whether or not you owe any tax.

There are a lot of other possibilities, but the reason is likely that you don't need the either of those credits.

If you owed taxes and had charitable donations, tuition or public transit passes, those credits would reduce your taxes owed until they were reduced to $ 0.00.

sngchow

You should carry forward the donations to future years to reduce taxes payable since it isn't making any difference in your refund this year.