Solved: Is there a guarantee this won't happen? My charita...

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
EnglishEN

Pick a language

Français English
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Is there a guarantee this won't happen? My charitable donations have been carried forward beyond 5 years and applied to my tax return.

CRA is auditing my charitable receipts and I've discovered more than 5 years worth have been applied to my return. I have been entering/carrying forward the donations for years, but this is the first year they have ever been applied. My 2010 total, as seen on my current return, is a cumulative total of a number of previous years which is likely the problem. Any protection against this happening or have I messed up somewhere down the line?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Is there a guarantee this won't happen? My charitable donations have been carried forward beyond 5 years and applied to my tax return.

If you have not had sufficient income to use the charitable donations, they will carry forward until such time as you are able to utilize them.  If you have not claimed charitable donations for 5 years, it may be that you are eligible for the super credit, so provided that you have all of your charitable receipts available for the auditors it may not be all bad.  If any of the receipts are older than five years, they may be disallowed.  Unfortunately, it is up to you to keep the donations list current and remove any donation amounts which are no longer valid.

Per CRA:

Tax Tip

Carryforward
You do not have to claim all of the donations you made this year on your current year return. It may be more beneficial to carry them forward and claim them on your return for any of the next five years.

First-Time Donor’s Super Credit
This credit supplements the value of the federal charitable donations tax credit by 25%.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Highlighted

If you have not had sufficient income to use the charitable donations, they will carry forward until such time as you are able to utilize them.  If you have not claimed charitable donations for 5 years, it may be that you are eligible for the super credit, so provided that you have all of your charitable receipts available for the auditors it may not be all bad.  If any of the receipts are older than five years, they may be disallowed.  Unfortunately, it is up to you to keep the donations list current and remove any donation amounts which are no longer valid.

Per CRA:

Tax Tip

Carryforward
You do not have to claim all of the donations you made this year on your current year return. It may be more beneficial to carry them forward and claim them on your return for any of the next five years.

First-Time Donor’s Super Credit
This credit supplements the value of the federal charitable donations tax credit by 25%.

View solution in original post

v