Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NPJ

Line 303 Spousal and Line 305 Amount for Dependants

Just got married and my spouse lives and works in the US, not a perm resident yet.  I had to enter her name since I said I was married and no income.  Now I see that LINE 303-Spouse Common Law it put Base $11,138 amount in there.  Line 303 on sched 1 is  $11, 138.

LINE 305-Amount for Eligible Dependant  is blank no name no date of birth, no relationship to you in the field. When I click on it, I see my childs info entered. Base amount is $11,138. Line 305 on sched 1 is 0.

I'm assuming it's only claiming one.   I don't want to claim my spouse as dependant since she doesn't live here.  I want to claim my chid for Amount for Eligible Dependant.   

How do I do that ?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Enter your spouse as SIN 000-000-000 if she does not have one. Show her as non-resident for tax purposes with zero income. Do not claim the married credit on line 303.

You are correct that you can only claim one or the other of line 303 or 305.
In your situation, Eligible Dependant can be claimed as your wife isn't living with you.

View solution in original post

8 Replies

Enter your spouse as SIN 000-000-000 if she does not have one. Show her as non-resident for tax purposes with zero income. Do not claim the married credit on line 303.

You are correct that you can only claim one or the other of line 303 or 305.
In your situation, Eligible Dependant can be claimed as your wife isn't living with you.
NPJ

Thanks.  How do I do that on the forms?  it automatically claimed my wife on liine 303.  Easy Steps-do i uncheck the Equivalent to spouse ? and the

Cant claim eligible dependant if married.

You can if you do not claim spousal amount because of not living together, ie spouse lives in another country.

How do you make line 303 $0?? My non-resident spouse has low income and now it is putting an amount in line 303 to get as a tax benefit. However I do not financially support my spouse so I know I cannot claim this. There doesn't appear to be anyway to input this amount to $0. Thank you for the help!
lornajb08

Why do I receive a refund of $1900. when I don't enter my spouses income and when I enter her income I owe $1500. The difference is huge. Am I doing something wrong?

lornajb08

Why do I receive a refund of $1900. when I don't enter my spouses income and when I enter her income I owe $1500. The difference is huge. Am I doing something wrong?

lornajb08