Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Oct 30, 2019 12:41:34 AM

Medical expenses with coverage - Which amount do I enter?

When entering receipts for expenses what have been covered by benefits which amount do I put in? The amount of the original service (Submitted Expense) or the amount not covered by benefits (Amount Not Paid)

Also I note that the Types available don't seem to cover dental or health directly besides the Other category. Is this correct to apply things like dental and ambulance  under Other?

0 2 1806
1 Best answer
Oct 30, 2019 12:41:35 AM

Use the "Other" category for undefined expenses and a description that identifies the service provider or treatment.

Claim only the amount not refunded by your benefits plan (out of pocket cost) for medical expenses.

Remember that if you pay for all or a part of the premiums for this Health Plan you can also deduct those costs.

2 Replies

Use the "Other" category for undefined expenses and a description that identifies the service provider or treatment.

Claim only the amount not refunded by your benefits plan (out of pocket cost) for medical expenses.

Remember that if you pay for all or a part of the premiums for this Health Plan you can also deduct those costs.

My thanks for a clear answer